The International Council for Canadian Studies (ICCS) has established the ICCS Publishing Fund to assist with the publication and distribution in Canada of scholarly monographs on Canada written by foreign Canadianists who are members of a Canadian Studies Association or Associate Member belonging to the International Council for Canadian Studies. This fund assists foreign Canadianists by granting financial aid to a recognized scholarly press once the work is published.
The Fund may also grant financial assistance for the translation from English or French into a third language and from a third language into French or English. In this case, conditions and procedures remain the same, but instead of a manuscript the press will submit a published monograph that it would like to see translated. The Publishing Fund does not fund translations from English to French or from French into English.
- Only scholarly manuscripts on Canada written by foreign Canadianists are eligible.
- Manuscripts must be previously unpublished.
- Collections of poetry, novels, plays, magazine articles or conference proceedings are not eligible.
- Manuscripts consisting of previously published texts, such as excerpts of books or articles, are eligible if a third of the texts have not previously been published.
- Applications must be presented to the ICCS in either of Canada’s official languages.
- The author shall be a member in good standing of an ICCS member association or associate member. A letter of support from a Canadian Studies Association or Associate Member belonging to the ICCS must accompany the application.
The funds allocated shall apply to the printing or translating costs of a manuscript/book and not to the costs of research, typing, reproduction or any other stage in the manuscript preparation process.
- Authors will be responsible for contacting and sending their manuscripts directly to the publisher.
- Once a publisher has determined that it is interested in publishing a manuscript it will seek readers’ assessments and prepare, in collaboration with the author, an application for a grant.
- Applications will be forwarded by the scholarly press to the ICCS, accompanied by all (at least two) readers’ assessments. The Editorial Board of the International Journal of Canadian Studies, acting as the adjudication committee, reserves the right to secure independent assessments of manuscripts.
- The Editorial Board of the International Journal of Canadian Studies will evaluate the manuscripts submitted and will decide which works can be published under this fund, as well as the amount of the grant to be allocated. All decisions are final and not open to appeal. Applications not retained for a grant will not be carried over to the following year; re-submissions will however be accepted.
- The grant will be paid to the publisher and not to the author once the publication is complete, normally within a year from an offer of a grant. Should a manuscript not be published within two (2) years of an offer of a grant, the grant will be withdrawn and available for re-allocation.
- Once the work is published, two copies of the publication must be sent to the ICCS.
An application must contain four (4) copies of the following documents:
- the manuscript proposed for funding;
- a two-page summary in French or English of the manuscript;
- a curriculum vitae of the author(s), which includes the nature of the university affiliation;
- all (at least two) assessments of the manuscript done by qualified readers (include name and university affiliation of assessors);
- a detailed budget (including design, printing and marketing costs, as well as all funding sources for the proposed publication);
- a projected publication date;
- the number of copies to be printed;
- a marketing plan, including advertisement;
- a letter of support from the president of a Canadian Studies Association or Associate Member;
- in the case of a translation application, a brief rationale from the publisher for translating the book.
The deadline for submitting applications is November 23rd. Requests for information and submissions must be addressed to :
International Council for Canadian Studies
250 City Centre Avenue, Suite 303
Ottawa, Ontario Canada K1R 6K7
Tel.: (613) 789-7834
Fax: (613) 789-7830