DFAIT Scholarshisp Overview
CANCELLATION OF THE UNDERSTANDING CANADA - CANADIAN STUDIES PROGRAM
Please note that further to the announcements in the 2012 budget, the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada (DFAIT) has decided to abolish the Understanding Canada-Canadian Studies Program. Therefore, there will be no further grants issued under this program.
Recipients who received a grant recently will have until January 31, 2013 to send to ICCS a final report in order to claim the second instalment of the award.
The ICCS acts as the administrative agent for several programs established by the International Education and Youth Division of Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada (DFAIT), or under its responsibility.
The first DFAIT programs in support of Canadian Studies were established over 25 years ago. Since 1987, a number of them are under the administrative responsibility of the ICCS, following renewed contractual and contribution agreements with the International Education and Youth Division of Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada (DFAIT).
As of April 1st, 2008, the structure of the successful Canadian Studies program has changed to become "Understanding Canada". The changes are made in the context of the Government's Advantage Canada agenda and in tandem with DFAIT's more strategic approach to Public Diplomacy. "Understanding Canada" will be more relevant to government and departmental priorities while continuing to respect academic freedom. Moreover, it will take into account changes in post-secondary education in Canada and abroad and a growing emphasis on comparative studies and research.
The general objective of the Programs in support of Understanding Canada – Canadian Studies isto develop a better knowledge and understanding of Canada among foreign leadership groups by providing support for the development of teaching, research and publication about Canada abroad.
In the case of programs designed for individuals, the purpose of the awards is to assist selected academics and graduate students to undertake studies relating to Canada by contributing towards return international airfare and a weekly/monthly allowance during the study visit in Canada.
- Faculty Enrichment Program (FEP) administered by ICCS
- Faculty Research Program (FRP) administered by ICCS
- Doctoral Student Research Award (DSRA) administered by ICCS
- Canada–Europe Awards (CEA) administered by ICCS
- Canada–Asia-Pacific Awards (CAPA) administered by ICCS
- Canada–Latin-America-Caribbean Awards (CLACA) administered by ICCS
- International Research Linkages (IRL) administered by ICCS
In the case of programs designed for institutions, the purpose of the awards or grants is to assist institutions of higher education to engage in research and publications about Canada and strengthen their Canadiana library holdings in support of teaching and research about Canada; to assist foreign Canadian Studies associations in the promotion and development of the study of Canada, particularly through seminars and conferences; and to provide incentive to foreign publishing houses to publish scholarly works about Canada in a national language.
- University Library Support Program (LSP) administered by ICCS
- Book Display Program (BDP) administered by ICCS
- Conference Travel Assistance Program (CTA) administered by ICCS
- Canadian Publishing Award for Japan administered by ICCS
- Canada Conference Grant Program administered by DFAIT (Adjudication process by ICCS)
- Assistance Program for Canadian Studies Associations administered by DFAIT
- Program Development Grants (PDG) administered by DFAIT
- Student Mobility Support Program administered by DFAIT
Not all programs described herein are available in all countries and not all DFAIT’s Canadian Studies programs are administered by the International Council for Canadian Studies.
For an overview of all FAIT Canadian Studies Programs, please visit: