Conference Travel Assistance
CANCELLATION OF THE UNDERSTANDING CANADA - CANADIAN STUDIES PROGRAM
Please note that further to the announcements in the 2012 budget, the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada (DFAIT) has decided to abolish the Understanding Canada-Canadian Studies Program. Therefore, there will be no further grants issued under this program.
Recipients who received a grant recently will have until January 31, 2013 to send to ICCS a final report in order to claim the second instalment of the award.
This program is designed to help fund the participation of third-country scholars at major conferences of associations of Canadian Studies which are members of the International Council for Canadian Studies (ICCS)--e.g. a British Canadianist invited to participate in the Nordic Association for Canadian Studies conference.
Applications under this program may be made only by ICCS member associations in good standing. Funding from this program is for use in conjunction with the annual, biennial or triennial conference of an association.
Applications are normally submitted to the:
International Council for Canadian Studies
c/o Cristina Frias
250 City Centre Avenue, Suite 303 Ottawa, Ontario, Canada,K1R 6K7
tel:  (613) 789-7834 x221
fax:  (613) 789-7830
Applicants are also advised to send a copy of their applications to the appropriate Canadian Mission.
Terms & Conditions
- Grants not exceeding CDN $2,000 per year are available to ICCS member associations, in response to requests for travel assistance for specified third-country scholars invited as speakers at that association's annual conference (e.g. a German Canadianist invited to participate in the Italian Association for Canadian Studies conference).
- Biennial conferences quality for double funding (i.e. Cdn$4,000) and triennial conferences qualify for triple funding (i.e. Cdn$6,000), although consideration can be given to splitting this grant between biennial or triennial conferences and significant "off-year" seminars.
- Grants under this program shall be paid to the requesting association, not to the invited individual(s). Persons receiving grants should be members of the Canadian Studies association of their country of residence, where such association exists.
- Not more than Cdn$1,000 of travel support, or the equivalent of a return economy air fare, whichever is less, shall normally be provided to any one individual from this funding.
Requests for a grant must be made at least two months before the conference and must include:
- the theme of the conference (if applicable)
- a statement to the effect that it is an annual, biennial, or triennial conference or major "off-year" seminar of the association;
- the dates and location of the conference;
- a list of the scholar(s) for whom travel assistance is requested, plus alternates, if desired.
- A financial report on the use of the grant shall be forwarded to the International Council for Canadian Studies within 60 days after the conference. Consideration of future grant applications is contingent upon a satisfactory report being promptly provided.